The Callisto Protocol is no longer part of the PUBG universe

The Callisto Protocol, the upcoming horror game from Dead Space creator Glen Schofield is no longer part of the PUBG universe.

Speaking on Twitter Schofield said that the game “no longer takes place in the PUBG Universe.” He continued: “It was originally part of the PUBG timeline, but grew into its own world. PUBG is awesome, and we will still have little surprises for fans, but TCP is its own world, story and universe.”

Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.

Announced at The Game Awards in December 2020, The Callisto Protocol is the brainchild of Dead Space creator Schofield, the former Sledgehammer Games and Visceral Games boss who was appointed CEO of new PUBG Corporation development studio Striking Distance in 2019.

Little has been heard of the game since its original announcement, when it was scheduled for release in 2022, but comments from Schofield earlier this month suggest that’s soon to change.

The Callisto Protocol – Cinematic Trailer Reveal

He said on Monday: “This is my favorite time when making a game – the design starts coming together. Love seeing all the hard work the team is doing in the mocap studio to bring our characters to life. Thanks to everyone waiting as we finish and polish the game. We’ll have more to share soon!”

In February 2021, Striking Distance said it had partnered with Skybound Entertainment, the company behind The Walking Dead franchise, to turn The Callisto Protocol into a multimedia franchise.

Electronic Arts’ Motive studio is currently working on a Dead Space remake. Last month, it shared over 20 minutes of new footage and confirmed an early 2023 release window.